The Sussex County Bar Association was founded in 1916 with the following objectives
- To advance the science of jurisprudence
- Promote the administration of justice
- Uphold the honor of the profession
- Encourage cordial relations among its members
- Maintain high standards of ethics in the conduct of the legal profession
- Aid and assist the courts in the orderly and more effective disposition of litigation and
- Make legal services effectively available to the public.
For nearly 100 years, the members of the Sussex County Bar Association have continued to further these goals and strive to serve our community in various ways.
Our members serve on the boards and volunteer for organizations, such as SCARC, Inc., SCARC Foundation, Birth Haven, Habitat for Humanity, Department for Persons with Disabilities, Newton Medical Center Foundation, Project Self Sufficiency, Domestic Abuse Services, Inc., and the self-help center at the courthouse. Our members are frequent lecturers at Continuing Legal Education Seminars for attorneys, and seminars to the public. Our diverse membership is comprised of over 200 attorneys from all areas of practice, who live and/or work in Sussex County.
Some of our members have been recognized statewide by New Jersey Monthly Magazine as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in their respective practice areas. Others have been recognized nationally by the National Trial Lawyers Association.